What's happened to the Dragons?

Discussion in 'General CAA Discussion' started by FanOfCAABball, Jan 16, 2015.

1. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

What's wrong with Drexel basketball this year?

Drexel is at the very bottom of the barrel, two spots below Towson and three spots below Delaware! 3 & 13, and in conference, 1 & 4.

Injuries? Sure.

But c'mon!!
  2. DU_Trogdor

DU_Trogdor Member

You really felt the need to post one of these threads on the main board as well? Anyway, I'll bite.

You may as well ask what has been wrong with Drexel for the past decade, but I think Bruiser really just gave up after the 29-7 2011-'12 season. After missing out on the NCAA tournament again, I think Bruiser took it badly. They missed out in 2006-07 with great road wins and the most road wins in the country, but some bad losses in-conference. They missed out in 2011-12 with a great record and the longest win streak in the country that season, but a weak overall SOS. I think Bruiser took it harder than he may want to admit and just gave up a little.

He also lost my favorite Dragons' player ever in Samme Givens following that 2011-12 season. For anyone that didn't know this, Samme is the son of a high school basketball coach and had fantastic basketball IQ as a result, and I feel that Samme may have been providing more on-court coaching that anyone realized. It's easy to see that Samme brought a nightly double-double in the box score, but its a bit harder to quantify what the team actually lost when he graduated. He was the only senior on a 29 win team, but the subsequent 3 seasons since his graduation have all been disasters.

Like I said, I think Bru just gave up. Without a player of Samme's IQ and intensity to support the team when the coaching staff can't get it right, everything has unfortunately fallen apart. In the first 8-10 years as head coach at Drexel, Bru has an extremely short leash on his players regarding in-game mistakes. If a player missed a defensive assignment or made a bad foul, Bru would pull him from the game. Watch any game in the last 3 years or so, and you can clearly see he's lost this intensity. Sure, he still paces the sidelines and puts on a show, but he's leaving guys like Tavon Allen and Freddie Wilson in the game as a career 20% shooter with terrible shot-selection.

Bruiser has given up as a coach. It's why all of the staff in the Men's BBall program are his friends, and why there is nobody in the organization to challenge him or second-guess his decisions. And when none of his superiors require anything more from him than mediocrity, why should we expect a product that is anything better than that?
  3. dan10

dan10 Active Member

To add to that we have not replaced Samme. When we had Samme we stopped looking at forwards and have had a hard time getting decent forwards since his departure. We certainly have not developed that ones we have (Look no further than Dartaye Ruffin and now Rodney Williams). We had some really good guards in Fouch and Massenat who all graduated last year. We do not have any shooters on the roster and didnt have a backup plan for either Fouch or Massenat, and it is showing badly this year. So with limited talent (poor recruiting) and the normal poor coaching, the trainwreck of this season is not that surprising.
  4. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

We only have 4 guys who have played every game.

Fouch and Massenat weren't just good, they're #5 and #6 on the all time scoring list. Losing them pretty much guaranteed this was going to be a rebuilding year. Add to that injuries at every position, and we're in a really bad down year. But we've had them before, and we'll have them again.

Little early to be bagging Rodney, don't you think?
    J.B. likes this.
  5. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

DU T, thanks for the detailed assessment.

I'm inclined to agree with your thoughts about Bruiser. The year DU was the top team of the City Six (same year DU traveled & beat Syracuse?), should have been the year the Dragons received an at large. The "system" of selection is flawed.

Bruiser is a competitor. I hope he can reach within and find the match to reignite his fire. As the dean of the Associations' coaches, there are many who respect him and look up to him.

What's up with the DAC Pack? The "official" thread of the Dragons most vocal fans needs to be dusted off. What happened to THEIR fire? Is it the chicken? Or is it the egg? Where are they?
  6. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Based on the recent past with the same coaches, I dont think so. Samme was the last forward we have developed and he graduated in 2012 and he was developed mostly his sophomore/junior year. Rodney has talent, but I dont think we will ever grow that talent and see what kind of player he can be. Like Dartaye, he had a pretty impressive freshman year, and he came out this year looking lost prior to his injury. Why should we expect some magical turnaround on developing bigs?
  7. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

All you really need to do is read this:
    http://www.midmajormadness.com/colo...ge-basketball-recap-drexel-cornell-charleston

I agree with DU T about Samme in terms of bball IQ and on court leadership. Dan is also right with Dartaye. Early on in his stint, BruCo seemed to have a great knack at progressing the play of the bigs that came through Drexel. Dartaye showed a lot of promise as a freshman and then fizzled out and there really hasn't been any growth in any of the other bigs that have come through (although I still hold out hope for R Williams).

Bruiser finds success when the offense has a balanced approach. The last really bad year after the first snub had strong post presence in Elegar but no guard support, now that is reversed. You can't win only allowing the bigs to take 20% of the shots when you only have one guard who can shoot. I didn't think there was any possible way he could go into this year minus Frantz and Chris and keep excluding the big guys. Not only did he not change, he's doubled down by refusing to acknowledge that the four guard lineup is a disaster. Fun fact: when Drexel gets 20+ points from the bigs since the 06-07 season their record is 105-54 .660, when they don't 44-67 .396. 20+ points occurred around 23 times per season from 06-07 to 11-12, it's happened 17 times the past three years combined (12-5 record in those games).

Maybe the second snub took the fire out of him. Maybe it was the official death of the Armory project. Maybe it's the fact that the league is a steaming crater after all the defections. It's a mess and I am preparing myself for a huge punch to the gut after the season is over.
  8. 93Dragon

93Dragon New Member

It is impossible to recruit a good player when the facilities are just a notch over a Highschool program. You just have to walk a good recruit through the DASKALAKIS ATHLETIC CENTER to make sure he goes elsewhere. We are left with the bottom of the barrel recruits, transfers, JuCo players. I don't blame Bruiser, I blame Drexel. Drexel has balooned into a 27K student college w/ the addition of a medical and law school. They have established a network of Alumni groups all over the world, yet they still insist on having their only major sport play in an antiquated arena. Back in 2007, there was talk of moving theminto a refurbished Armory, yet that plan was scrapped due to overages in cost. The school has decided just to refurbish the D-Center instead allowing for only 3500 spectators. This is the smallest arena in the leauge. For this reason... Drexel basketball does not have a future.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

10. DrachenFire

They do now, but are planning on building a new convocation center;
    [​IMG]
    After "the university had approached the couple with its priorities, and after building a strong relationship with the Athletic Department, the Schars showed interest in making a donation."
    http://www.elonpendulum.com/2014/12/elon-parents-donate-largest-single-gift-universitys-history/

Drexel is still waiting for a couple of H&R Block planes to fly by and drop a couple of palettes.

And that's just to finish and get the DAC to 3200.
  11. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

Northeastern University falls to the Dragons!

Going into the DU vs NU game, Northeastern was sitting atop the Association. 24 hours later, the league leading Huskies were "mushed" out the door of the DAC by the Dragons.

What'd the boys eat for breakfast yesterday?

Nice win!
  12. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

UNC-Wilmington falls to the Dragons.

With the loss, the Seahawks move from 2nd to 3rd place in the Association.
  13. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

Elon University falls to the Dragons.
  14. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

The College of Charleston falls to the Dragons.
  15. PhilaMonarchFan

PhilaMonarchFan Active Member

Yeah, what has happened to the Dragons? From last place in the Association to 6th place.
    And a four game win streak? Great job!

Keep on keeping on.
  16. PhilaMonarchFan

PhilaMonarchFan Active Member

Towson University falls to the Dragons.

Only one school team has won more basketball games in-conference than Drexel and that is William and Mary with a one win advantage.
    J.B. likes this.
  17. CAAFirst

CAAFirst Member

And Drexel wraps up the regular season with a win over the Tribe on Monday, 80-66.
    So the Dragons have scored noteworthy wins over top ranked NU, # 2 William and Mary, and # 4 UNC-W.
    How can that be?

What......., coach says "we are playing some of the best teams in the league, play better out there tonight"?
    Dragons have a big win over the Hens IN Newark in January but can't hold service at home in Philadelphia against Delaware?

This is one crazeeeee mixed up team! Crazy enuff to win it all in Baltimore?
  18. DrachenFire

With only 7 players, and at least 3 of them needing to play all 160 minutes in 4 days? No.
  19. CAAFirst

CAAFirst Member