The Dub

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by dan10, Jan 31, 2015.

1. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Shocked nobody has started a thread yet. Up 43-35 at the half. Only caught the last minute so not sure how we ever scored 43 in any half. It looks like from the camera of the DAC we are playing in front of like 500 people, but cant blame people for not wanting to show up for this product. Would be interested in hearing what we did in the first half, since it appears to be positive.
  2. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

According to the commentators its a good turnout today. Mojica looks great today. London has taken chances running the ball up the floor despite Bru pleading for him to slow down.. They've looked solid so far but WERE trailing (as Dan pointed out) with a better shooting percentage when they had 4 guards on the floor
  3. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

Yeah, I just saw the score too. 2nd place Wilmington is being taken to the wood shed by the boys from Philly!

Wow.
  4. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Can someone tell me where the Drexel team from earlier this year is??? I hope that team goes away for every and never comes back. Today was the most fun I've had at the DAC all season. Great win against one of the better teams in the CAA. Night and day between this team and the team that played just a few weeks ago. They are a completely different team now that Rodney is back and they finally have 9 players suited up to play.

To explain the first half, UNCW took a gamble and decided to put on a full court press the entire half. I guess they figured that it would tire Drexel out. Their strategy completely backfired as Drexel beat the press every time, and scored a lot of easy baskets, which explains the 59% shooting % in the first half. After Drexel built up a 19 point lead with 5:30 to go, they did struggle with the press on a couple of possessions and made some mistakes , and UNCW cut the lead to 6. But overall they played really well tonight.

Looking at the box score, Drexel shot 60.4% for the game. Can anyone tell when the last time this team shot 60%. Also, I didn't realize it but Lee scored another (ho hum) 32 points, and made some really big shots at big moments of the game as he continues his historic season.

To answer Dan10's comment about attendance, there was a decent crowd there today. It was listed at 1,404, which isn't that good, but one of the better crowds this season. Problem is that many people buy GA tickets, and the ushers have gotten really strict this year about who sits in the reserved seats. So there tends to be a lot more people sitting in the bleachers, and many of the unsold chairbacks remain empty.
  5. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

Drexel is now playing against inferior "CAA" opponents. There appears to be a correlation between our performance and the caliber of our opponents.

0-7 Against Top 100 RPI Opponents
    3-5 Against 101 - 200 RPI Opponents
    4-1 Against 201+ RPI Opponents

Next Up:
    Elon: 269 RPI
    Charleston: 285 RPI
    Towson: 251 RPI
    Hofstra: 190 RPI
  6. warpig

warpig Active Member

i have to agree with drexeljay...partially for the reasons stated above...that winning games isn't good for drexel basketball. metsox should title his posts about losses as the "happy recap" and wins "learning from our mistakes".

i used to want the team to win because of the guys on the team. it would be better if we tanked so they could get a decent coach or transfer to a program that wants to win. and i mean really win. not beat teams with a first year head coach or ex-america east teams we've beaten plenty of times before in the regular season when it didn't really matter.
  7. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Drexel is now tied for 5th in the CAA with Hofstra at 5-5, though Hofstra has the tiebreaker as of now. The season is far from over, but they've put themselves in a position now to avoid having to play on Friday.

Damion Lee is now 5th in the nation in PPG at 21.7 PPG, and 22nd in the nation in FT% at .881.

Back to the game, it was clear that Kevin Keatts was clearly out coached by Bruiser yesterday. He was probably thinking the whole game.."what's going on here? This isn't the team we watched on film". Not sure what he was thinking by trying to run a full-court press on Drexel for an entire first half. Drexel struggles to score against a standard defense. They've clearly gotten much better when given the opportunity to run and score on fast breaks.
  8. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, how did you think that Bru obtained his over .500 record here?

As far as playing "inferior" CAA opponents, why don't you cut the $1 million check so that we can go to the more inferior AEast or PL and make sure you make that check out for more than the cool mil since we would be leaving some of the VCU money on the table as well. You don't have to like the league, but better or worse we're stuck here, so we might as well try to win it. Or try writing to the AD to just forfeit the rest of the year since we are so vastly superior to the opposition that it is beneath us to play them.

It's a game. Who here honestly thought this team would be better than last after graduating Frantz, Chris and Dartaye and then playing a month without the only post player who is given the opportunity to shoot the ball? We've actually seen good things out of this freshmen class and we're only losing Freddie and Sooren (hopefully only those two) while bringing in Fields. I know you guys want Bru gone, and the more he wins the more likely he's back next year, but to be actively rooting for the team to fail is just dumb. I'm selfish, I want to watch Damion strap this team to his back and keep dropping 30. I want him to believe that this team has the pieces to really compete next year so he returns for his last year and potentially threatens 2208. Trust me when I say there are things that can occur to you in life that really change your outlook. I very nearly lost my chance to see this season, I want to see this team win.

Edit to add: And before I'm accused of going soft, I still consider it NCAA or bust every year within reason. This is one of those within reason years due to the graduations. With the pieces next year, this is the last mulligan for Bru. If he's back next year and doesn't make it, either he goes or I do.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    J.B. likes this.
  9. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

Postgame is up. JB, maybe a touch more optimistic than he should be.

Link
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

On January 21, 2012 hosting Northeastern, Drexel shot exactly 60%. The 60.4% was Drexel's highest percentage since Drexel shot 61.9% on January 26, 2002 hosting George Mason.
  11. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

WOW!!! That game against Mason was known as the Cheesesteak Massacre, the last time Drexel scored over 100 points. Thanks for doing the research on this.