Pilot C-USA

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Monarchs' started by Cedric, May 26, 2012.

1. Cedric

Cedric New Member

The Virginian-Pilot
    © May 26, 2012
    Breadth-taking: Just when you thought it might be safe to embrace Old Dominion's move to Conference USA, you learn that the league's 2014 men's basketball tournament could be played in El Paso, Texas. Now that's convenient for Monarch fans. And to think, some people complained about driving to Richmond for the CAA tournament.

This is ridiculous! From Lynnhaven it is a simple 31 hour drive to El Paso. Once you hit Knoxville, Tn it's I-40W to I-20. The route gets a bit quirky around Texarkana though. Bring your passport for a great day trip to Chihuahua Mexico between the semi's and the quarter's. If we go one-and-done though, the return 31 is tough after knocking down a few misery cervazas. :frown2:
  2. N2theBLUE

N2theBLUE New Member

Way to go again Molinaro. People weren't complaining about the driving distance to Richmond. We were complaining that it was in VCU's back yard year after year.
  3. EverRespect

EverRespect Active Member

At least we could easily get to the VCU Invitational. I was and am all for the conference change, but you have to admit, ElPaso is not a good situation and it isn't easy to get to. I know they move it around a little, but the tournament has become the Memphis Invitational of late (6 of the last 8 years). If the tournament becomes the UTEP Invitational, it will get old by the 2nd year. Hopefully with the divisional setup, they will rotate it between sites in each footprint.
  4. ZuluDoggy

ZuluDoggy New Member

That is the beauty of this, it won't be in El Paso year after year after frigging year with no end in sight. The CAA Tourney was/is in Richmond with no end in sight. Just because VCU is gone don't expect Yeagar to do anything to move it.
  5. ODU1986

ODU1986 New Member

Just one of the downsides with CUSA.
  6. BigE

BigE New Member

no sweat
    Norfolk or Richmond Intern'l to ATL
    ATL to DFW
    DFW to El Paso
  7. bigblueballs

bigblueballs New Member

...and if we had joined the A-10 he'd be complaining we had to go to brooklyn.
    Complete dum bas!
  8. Creighton

Creighton New Member

And in a couple years it might be in our backyard. Or Charlotte. It rotates.
  9. odu06

odu06 New Member

bob doesn't like it? who cares? it's not like you had plans to come watch us play in our conference tournament anyways with the way you talk about our school. it is what it is, we're going up while others are going down and some people just don't know how to react and have to grasp at straws to bring us down. good luck with that!
  10. DJnVa

DJnVa New Member

And the year Norfolk gets to host he'll say "How come ODU fans aren't complaining about a conference team getting the tourney in their backyard now?"
  11. Sirloinburger

Sirloinburger New Member

Bob strikes again. lol. I think we should all let Bob be Bob. As you can see, nothing is going to change him.
  12. myorangecrush

myorangecrush New Member

Hopefully the CUSA takes a note from the A10 and moves it to a neutral city with a tourist draw.
  13. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

Yeah, El Paso is a bit more of a drive than the 5+ hours to Richmond. The dice have been thrown and we'll get to see how well we all travel to wherever it ends up. If we're lucky, one day it might end up in a geographically convenient place for the thousands of us who have been regular attendees to the Association's Tournament. If we're real lucky, maybe in the next 13 years, C-USA will award the basketball tournament to Richmond, VA.

At least the tournament will be on CBS, right?
  14. I guess it's too much to ask to hope bob "everything odu does is wrong" molinaro gets fired in the same year as Tony "triple bypass" mecurio.

He's clownshoes......who cares what he thinks?
  15. ODUBB35

ODUBB35 New Member

Actually, Bob's articles are quite helpful to ODU. All we have to do is read his columns, do the opposite of what he says, and everything works out wonderfully.
  16. ODU94A

ODU94A New Member

Why does everybody miss this point. I complained about driving to Richmond and paying for hotels etc. only because VCU never had to!
  17. Cedric

Cedric New Member

Why does everybody miss this point. I complained about driving to Richmond and paying for hotels etc. only because VCU never had to!

Same deal in El Paso @ UTEP's own arena. Slightly further.
  18. N2theBLUE

N2theBLUE New Member

Yes and if it's in El Paso year after year after year, you'll start hearing complaints again. As long as the tournament gets moved around, I think people can deal with the travel.
  19. DJnVa

DJnVa New Member

But it's not in El Paso every season. You know that's the point right? One year they stay home, the next another team stays home. Novel concept.
  20. Cedric

Cedric New Member

But it's not in El Paso every season. You know that's the point right? One year they stay home, the next another team stays home. Novel concept.

It was parked in Memphis for 6 years. They obviously are looking for a VCU attendance effect somewhere.
  21. Whoever puts in the best bid gets to host the tourney. Memphis put in the best bid quite a few years in a row but now el paso has.

Someone else will step it up next and it will move around.

The caa tourney has been in Richmond 20 straight years. See the difference?
  22. ODU94A

ODU94A New Member

A couple of differences VCU was the #1 enemy. Our location here in Norfolk just as good as a location and 90 miles away, same true for Mason, and JMU was with in distance also. So why with three power houses that mattered always had to go to Richmond when it could of just as easily been moved around.

C-USA is different for many reasons of course that may make it impossible to make everyone happy but the CAA dropped the ball when they clearly could of done better so screw them!
  23. littlebaldman

littlebaldman New Member

Well, now they REALLY have to. The Sheraton closest to the Barclay's Center has rooms available the weekend of the A-10 tournament starting at $649 a night. There certainly are cheaper rooms available, but New York hotels are just a liiiiitttttle more expensive than, well...free.
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  24. BradRamFan

BradRamFan Active Member

Because those universities in DC, Harrisionburg, Williamsburg, and Norfolk couldn't get their own cities motivated enough to put in a viable bid to move the tournament out of Richmond. In fact, the tournament was in Richmond before VCU even stepped into the CAA.

Regardless, I think moving a tournament around every 5+ years would be a good idea as far as making the schools feel better. But not sure it would benefit the conference as a whole financially though.

Having the conference in Richmond has been beneficial for the top CAA programs for a bit over the last decade.....ODU, UNCW, GMU, and VCU.....all were relatively close except for UNCW.
  25. bigblueballs

bigblueballs New Member

As I understand it, it has always been made clear that Richmond was the choice... There was some talk about opening it up for a bid and John Rhamstine mentioned they would be interested in putting in a bid for Norfolk... next thing you know, out of the blue... Richmond got an extension.
  26. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

Yeah, I see the difference. It won't be a five or six hour drive anymore for me to drive to the tournament and support my alma mater. Driving to "in conference" away games are out of the questiion as well.

At least I'll be able to watch them play football on national TV every weekend when they play the likes of North Texas and Florida International University.
  27. Or when they play east Carolina or Marshall.

Way to be a pessimist. And how many road games did you really go to for football?

My guess is you are utterly full of sh.t. Here are the road games we've played in the state of Va. so far:

vmi ooc 1st year

hampton 2nd year maybe?

W&m last year

how many of those did you actually go too?
  28. Mountainman Monarch

Mountainman Monarch New Member

[​IMG]

We should all be stoked the Richmond Coliseum is getting it's due. In fact, a proper farewell to the dump is in order... by either not going at all or wearing t-shirts with dump-trucks and bulldozers.

We got screwed royally in the CAA, and the pessimists are showing their IQ's not seeing that. We have a full-head of steam going into C-USA and have a real opportunity to be a powerhouse. Time to move on whiners... it's happening with or without you.
  29. EverRespect

EverRespect Active Member

It's funny because I got my tickets to the semis via Ticketmaster last year so now my personal email is constantly spammed with promotions of events at the dump. I can't imagine a scenerio where I will ever see the inside of that place again.
  30. mturn017

mturn017 New Member

Do you live near Lexington Mountainman? I work in Roanoke and live just south of there in Franklin County. I don't meet many Monarchs on this side of the State.