Northeastern

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by J.B., Jan 28, 2015.

1. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Drexel won.

Long painful final 2 minutes, but they got it done. For a coach that doesn't know how to teach his players to finish games, tonight Drexel had about 15 inbounds plays in the final couple of minutes, and didn't turn it over once. They also missed just one free throw in the final minutes.

Nice win tonight against one of the top teams in the league, coming back from 12 down toward the end of the first half.

I haven't seen the standings yet, but I think Drexel has moved up to 6th place in the CAA.
  2. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

Nice win for a change. When it was getting close there at the end, I was having visions of them hitting a three-pointer at the buzzer. Luckily they couldn't figure out a way to not foul Lee. If I remember right two of them were before the ball was even inbounded; not the smartest play on their part.

For any NU guys stopping in, what's up with Scott Etherton this season? They have good balance so I can see why his scoring numbers are down some, but he's not rebounding well either. For a guy that averaged over 10 a game last year, I think halfway through, he is only at about 6 rebounds a game in conference play.

An off topic observation: I noticed scrolling through the scores tonight that New Hampshire won and is now 12-9 overall and 5-3 in the America East and it made me wonder if Bill Herrion has had a winning season since leaving Drexel. According the the stats on wikipedia, if they can maintain that pace it will mark the first time in his 16 years of coaching since leaving Drexel that Bill Herrion would have a winning record either overall or in conference play. In his 9 years at Drexel, his teams were always above .500 in conference and had only one losing season overall.
  3. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

A .702 winning percentage at Drexel.. Not so great elsewhere..

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/bill-herrion-1.html
  4. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Hate to say it... But I will anyway...

Worst case scenario for us to win games. But I guess it doesn't matter anyway since nobody besides Steve Seymour has ever been fired from the Drexel athletic dept. People who support it get exactly what they deserve.

But congrats on the win.
  5. dan10

dan10 Active Member

We have a winning streak, and one of those teams is actually decent this time (Unlike Cornell or Southern Miss)! I am more shocked that this team was able to actually comeback against anyone, especially from double digits. I suppose having Lee score 50% of the teams points can certainly help but still. Nice win, just keep building on it.

Jay,
    You made the correct point, we should all still want Drexel to win games, because we know that Bruiser isnt going anywhere unless its on his own terms. Even if we got dead last in this conference this season, nothing would have changed, so there is no point rooting against them.
  6. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

Already posted on another thread but I'll add it here too. "Nice win!"

Correct me if I'm wrong but NU was at the top of the standings for the Association. Their defeat at the DAC puts them firmly in 3rd place.

(Dragons may now be just 3 spots below 'em!)

Good job.
  7. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Damion Lee 12/12 FT shooting is one of the all-time great single game performances, tied for #5 (after adding his name to the #3 spot on the 13/13 @Hofstra last week.)
    He's currently on pace to have the #2 single season in FTs, and the #1 record for career FT percentage seems well in hand (no jinx.)
  8. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Lee showed the characteristics of a true leader last night. He wanted to get fouled, he wanted to get to the FT line, and he want to make the FT's to win the game. You could tell by some of his hand motions in the closing minutes that he told his team..."hop on my shoulders and I'm going to carry us to victory." Not bad for a guy who apparently has "never been coached".
  9. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

JB... You might want to calm down the "i yold you so's" and the patting Bruiser on the back... Makes you look silly.