Jenkins & McLaughlin gone from W&M

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by tribe_pride, Jul 1, 2003.

1. tribe_pride

tribe_pride New Member

Here is our answer

http://www.tribeathletics.com/sports/m- ... 03mbb.html

"The William and Mary athletics department announced today that men’s basketball players Jack Jenkins (Boston, MA) and Tom McLaughlin (Andover, MA) will not return to school next year, both due to personal reasons."

This'll make it a lot tougher for next year. Do we have enough players for a team since we got no recruits and a bunch of others leaving the team for graduation and other reasons?
  2. Big Green

Big Green New Member

Jack Jenkins' "personal reasons" for leaving, according to athletic department sources, was academic...he needed to take and pass two summer school courses and decided not to do it. He possibly will transfer to a less academically challenging college.

McLaughlin was not a scholarship player and would not have played in any but the end of one-sided games. He now goes to his third college in three years and will have to sit out another season, so it's doubtful he'll ever play another college game again, being a senior before he's eligible again.

Jenkins was a very good player with size, mobility, and strength...we have nobody to replace him and, of course, our "bench" is non-existent.

I shudder to think of Zeb Cope now having to play meaningful time...he has no shot, cannot pass or dribble without falling over, lacks a sense of the game,and has hands of stone.

Our new coaching staff will just have to grin and bear it for a season and let our All-American take thirty-five shots a game.

Hopefully, the one or two transfers rumored to be coming and a true
    quality recruiting year will position us for success in future years.
  3. Big Green

Big Green New Member

Maybe we'll get lucky and recruit a real player from the W&M Fraternity League. In 1955-56, stunningly enough, Bob Hoitsma was recruited by Coach Boydson Baird from Sigma Pi's fraternity league team--after a series of pre-season injuries left the Indians with only two bodies at forward, and Hoitsma actually won a starting spot and ended up among the top ten rebounders in the nation while scoring 15 points a game
    on a team that was very competitive and entertaining.

This was possibly the highspot of Coach Bairds undistinguished five-year coaching tenure, which featured high scoring teams with very good talent that he was unable to mesh together.

Coach--now's the time to scout your own fraternity league!

Perhaps history will repeat itself--well, we can dream, can't we?
  4. Urban Legend

Urban Legend New Member

Jenkins release

Jenkins wasn't given a "blanket release," but the other three who left the program were...

Hmm....minority players aren't allowed the same release as the white players?
  5. ramathon74

ramathon74 New Member

It is really a shame that Jenkins has left the team. It is hard to understand someone not going to summer school to make sure he has the requirements met to keep on course for his degree work. I guess it is easier to look back with age and question his priorities, but he will probably regret the act of not acting on his education.

Hope Hutt lives up to his billing, you will need him.
  6. Urban Legend

Urban Legend New Member

Jenkins wasn't allowed to attend summer school by the new staff in order to improve his core GPA. They've stalled his release for the past 90 days too. He wasn't given a blanket release like the other 3 who left the program...

Jenkins initially asked for his release the first week Shaver had the job, but it wasn't granted until now. Even now, it's not a blanket release...
  7. Aviator

Aviator New Member

Urban Legend, I don't know where you get your information from, but it is not accurate. Jenkins made the decision about not attending summer school. Your inference on the release also has a rather interesing tone to it.

Jenkins is a good kid who has had to make a lot of decisions on his own. The summer school decision was his own. I see a brush in youir hand, Urban Legend and it has an ugly color on it.
  8. Old Grad

Old Grad New Member

The Richmond newspaper continues to report that Brett Howell has left W&M. Several individuals have indicated on this board that Brett will return in the fall. Is this wishful thinking or does anyone know FOR SURE?
  9. Big Green

Big Green New Member

Howell is returning for sure. He hit it off well with our new coaching staff!
  10. Urban Legend

Urban Legend New Member

The staff still has NOT given Jack Jenkins his release. He has given them a list of 8 schools he has an interest in transferring to, but the staff isn't being too professional. Also, Jenkins wasn't given a blanket release, but the other non-minorities were....

Hmm....

Does anyone have the number to James Sokoloff?

They have dragged their feet for much too long. Action should be taken...
  11. Big Green

Big Green New Member

Urban Legend....you have faulty info.

Jack Jenkins flunked out. Once you flunk out, under NCAA rules, you can go to any college that will accept you. Flunking out diminishes your opportunities to transfer, so I doubt he has eight solid choices right now and may have to consider Division II basketball.

He also would have to make up his grades to get on a graduation pace before he would be able to play for a Division I schoo. Since summer school is out...it's too late...he is at risk until he passes.
  12. Aviator

Aviator New Member

Unfortunately, when given the opportunity to go to summer school, Jenkins made the wrong choice and decided not to attend. He is a good kid, who has had a difficult life.

I don't know who Urban Legend is, but his transparent manipulation and distortion of the facts makes everything he says suspect.
  13. ROSS

ROSS New Member

You people have no clue what u are talking about.......

Mcglaughlin is gone... he is going back to Princeton and maybe going to try and play ball. He felt the coach didnt want him and when it came time he decided not to come back.... Let me remind all of you that Tom was in the top 100 his senior year. So the boy could play he just has never had the opportunity in colllege, YET.... Jack could have taken summer classes but decided not to. The coaches said they would help Jack a lot more about getting into summer school or just tryin to stay at college but it never happened. Basically the coaches should have been on his butt to keep him at w@m if it was the last thing they did, but just like W@m they mess up again. Also brett, he is not coming back he is 100% not coming back. His release was going to come out a few days ago but it never did. He will either go to Auburn and walk on and hope for a scholarship or prob. go to California to pursue his dream. It looks to me now that W@M lost 5 of there 6 leading scorers from last year. Brett gone, Jack gone, Mcglaughlin gone, Viliianco gone,Tommy gone, Rivers and Duggins... wow what a hard thing to happen for a team. So there u have it people get your stuff straight.... and whats going to happen when Hess leaves wow dont want to see how that plays out.... :cry:
  14. WM Beancounter

WM Beancounter Moderator

What a mess. Thank God for our football team. Don't let us down this year, Jimmye!
  15. Big Green

Big Green New Member

This is just not trye re Jenkins...he had every opportunity to return to William and Mary and it was his decision not to want to spend his summerv studying and making up his flunked classes.

As far as the coaches not wanting him, this is laughable. Remember, it was the Coach Traver who sent his first brand new assistant to drive up his first day on the job all the way to Boston to tell Jenkins how much they wanted him to reurn. Then they bent over backwards and worked with the College administration to clear his way into summer school.

Bottom line is Jenkins is not a student and apparently chooses not to be one.

As far as McLaughlin, he never had a scholarship, was a fringe player at Princeton even before he got hurt, and none of his college coaches at either Princeton or W&M ever saw him playing in 1A basketball. And since his bad injury, he has lost whatever quickness he ever had. He never...I repeat never...would have been more than a mopup player at W&M.
  16. Aviator

Aviator New Member

I've heard the same thing, Big Green. My question is what motivates people like Urban Legend, et al. to post these obvious distortions, inflammatory remarks and outright lies? Are these people at a loss to do something and posting prevarications fills a void in their lives? Maybe , it is a return of UR Mikey. Who knows?
  17. Urban Legend

Urban Legend New Member

Jenkins- release

Jack Jenkins still hasn't had his release received by the schools he's requested it be sent to. Do me a favor, please don't question my postings. They are fact, period. There are atleast 4 schools who WILL accept Jenkins at the Division I level.

W&M did NOT give Jenkins a blanket release and has stated they will not release him to College of Charleston. The school is dragging their feet and holding this kid up. It's completely unprofessional and is not acting in the best interest of Jenkins.
  18. Mr. Jablomi

Mr. Jablomi New Member

Not that this is any of my business, but I hope these posts by Urban Legend are meant in jest.
    UL, do you REALLY think there is some racially motivated plot against Jenkins? That's just wayyyyyyyy too funny.
    What makes it funny is that the group behind this conspiracy, according to you, is the hoops staff. Now, I don't think you need to be a genius to understand why it might be a SLIGHT problem to be a racist, while being a college basketball coach. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that IF one were a racist, he would not choose a profession in which you can't avoid blacks. Ice hockey coach? Sure. Swimming coach? Probably. College basketball coach? Uh, no.
    You are a buffoon, and should go back under the rock from which you crawled.
  19. David

David New Member

Jenkins does indeed have four Division 1 schools after him and as soon as he gets his releases he will be making visits. He will probably end up near home but it is true that the College of Charleston wants him. With the dramatic coaching change and the timing of it he was hurt very badly without someone to mentor him during this crucial period. He was basically left to fend for himself and is somewhat one of the casualities of the coaching change.
    Speaking of McLaughlin he was offered a full scholarship at WM and he decided to return to Princeton because he wanted the Princeton Degree. I think he had over a 3.75 so he's obviously a bright kid.
    I heard his leg is fine and I've spoken to people that have seen him workout and they say he has this private trainer and is the same guy in Boston that works with Nomar Garciapara and Cam Neely and this guy has done a great job getting him back . McLaughlin comes from a family of athletes and his older brother was the Captain at UVM and he has a younger sister who as a Junior already received a basketball scholarship to Holy Cross. It's true he was a top 100 recruit and he was offered by Ohio State and that is how he knew Boygages and ended up at WM.
    As for him returning to Princeton they're thrilled to have him back and didn't want him to leave in the first place. He was their top recruit two season's ago and they feel if he's healthy he could be a tremendous.
    Loosing Jenkins is a big blow but hopefully he'll end up at a place that will work with him and the most important thing is that he get his degree. As for McLaughlin how can anyone question his returning to Princeton. There are three schools that you'd leave WM for and that's Harvard, Yale or Princeton. It's a no brainer.
  20. Mr. Jablomi

Mr. Jablomi New Member

Or Penn, Brown, Dartmouth, etc...
  21. Urban Legend

Urban Legend New Member

None of the schools who Jenkins requested receive the release have received them...

It's been over a week since W&M stated he will not return.

1. Why no blanket release for the minortity kid when the others all received blanket releases?

2. Why haven't the schools received Jenkins' release?

If it's not racially motivated, why did the three white kids get their releases? Hmmm....
  22. Mr. Jablomi

Mr. Jablomi New Member

Who knows? You surely don't. Perhaps the three white kids handled their situations differently from Jenkins. Maybe they were in better academic standing than Jenkins, and that had an impact. Or maybe, just maybe, the entire W&M athletic dept. is crawling with racists, just waiting for an opportunity to stick it to black kids (who they recruited, gave scholarships to, etc). Listen Mr. Sharpton, find a legit cause to champion, alright?
  23. jski1977

jski1977 New Member

I don't mean to bust balls on this board but there are many more than three schools in the nation I would leave W&M for if you're just in it for the education. Still saying a lot - great school, but I think you are overstating your value a bit.

I dont know if Urban has "inside" info into all of this, but to come onto this board and whine racism, unless he does takes cojones the size of Texas. Perhaps he is really the racist?
  24. WM Beancounter

WM Beancounter Moderator

Enough, guys. Lets not let this thread go down the racist drain. Look, no one is a racist, all schools are better than W&M, just let it go everyone. Hold hands and sing Coombaya (I bet I butchered that spelling). In the immortal words of Terrence Mann (James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams)... Peace, Love, Dope!!!!
  25. Urban Legend

Urban Legend New Member

Fact: Jenkins' release hasn't been sent to ALL the schools he asked it to be sent to.

Fact: All the other young men who requested a release were granted a 'blanket release,' while Jenkins wasn't given this type of release.

Fact: The W&M administration is dragging their feet and affecting the kids future.

Fact: Jenkins initially asked for his release over 2 months ago.
  26. Tribe 64

Tribe 64 New Member

Fact: Who cares?
  27. BradMan

BradMan New Member

If he left for academic reasons such as he flunked out and was unwilling to make up the credits in the summer then I really don't think you need an "official" release do you? Basically you release yourself because you didn't make the grade.

A. If the guy flunked out but didn't take the opportunity to make it up in the summer - he doesn't need an official release.

B. If it is something else other than academics then he would need a release.

So throwing out a blanket statement like - the university refuses to give him his release because of his color - has to be backed up....did "A" above happen or did "B" above happen.
  28. Aviator

Aviator New Member

A would seem to be the correct answer. If he flunked out, he released himself, as you said. W&M has become so pc in the last 25 years that any reference to racially motivated negative behavior by the administration or sports department is both ignorant and laughable.
  29. Urban Legend

Urban Legend New Member

Give the kid his release so he can get on with his life.
  30. TribeInTheBurg

TribeInTheBurg New Member

Ok. I release him!