football

Discussion in 'Smack' started by witsendhawk, Nov 6, 2011.

1. witsendhawk

witsendhawk New Member

Godhelpuncw & other E Car U fans Can't be too happy about being crushed by South Mississippi. They have no conference to go to and their hoops program is getting ready to have their 16th straight losing season. This validates the point that we are smart not to start football and apppreciate the fact we are in a good stable lead, unlike E Car and UNCC. Go Seahawks!
  2. Seahawk Nation 08

Seahawk Nation 08 New Member

Maybe one day we'll get football when we're prepared to do it right. For now, I recommend we start considering the possibility of dropping some programs. We currently have 19 sports at UNCW. 19!

Do you know how many the University of Colorado has? 11. OK, maybe a bad example. How about a CAA school like VCU? They have 14 programs.

I'm sure there will be opponents to cutting anything, especially those affiliated with the programs. But remember, cutting a program doesn't mean it can never be brought back. I just don't think you can justify having 19 programs at our school here in 2011. After all, we're already seeing the after-affects of the Mehrtens era. Even with men's soccer's 4-2 win over Mason tonite, our fall programs (men's soccer, women's soccer, volleyball) managed to win 19 games COMBINED, with 45 losses and 2 draws. I can't remember a time when we were so inept.

While the rest of the CAA was getting better, we fell behind over the course of the last 5 years. Its a damn shame.
  3. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

What's the point of starting a thread to joke on a school's football loss, when we don't even have a team?????

Just because ECU lost to a ranked South Mississippi doesn't validate anything about us not having a team. I'm not a fan of anything ECU, but at least their fans were able to watch THEIR team play football on a Saturday. What were you doing? Watching our chess club or something?

And I agree with SN08, 19 sports is ridiculous.
  4. godhelpuncw

godhelpuncw New Member

Witsend - funny how anyone who has an opposite view of your must be an EZU fan. You are truly an idiot and the type of moron who EZU fans like to point to when trashing UNCW.

Nation - Great Post. Much as I hate to admit it, you are spot on. In order to get better, UNCW has to give strong consideration to cutting sports especially in this economic climate. My understanding is that discussions have already been held. Look to see Swimming & Diving go away upon the retirement of Coach Allen. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us eliminate Tennis and perhaps cross country in the short term. Dropping from 19 back to say 14 or should put us in a much better position.

The alternative would be to get money from Witsend especially if Taco Bell matches.
  5. godhelpuncw

godhelpuncw New Member

However, it is true that a blind squirrel can find a nut so I must at least give Witsend credit for his position on UNCW football. We have no business trying to go that route.
  6. jumpinmullet

jumpinmullet Active Member

I am a basket ball guy all the way but over the years I changed my thinking on UNCW football and I really think it would be a huge hit here.I went to the Hanover -Hoggard game last week and it was awesome game and packed for 2 ok high schools teams.
  7. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that one. UNCW Swimming & Diving has been a dominate force in the CAA for years. I think it would take a little more than Coach Allen retiring to eliminate them from the group of 19.
  8. hawkfan4life

hawkfan4life New Member

Baby steps..lets start a lingerie team first.
  9. Seahawk Nation 08

To be fair, track & field counts for 4 sports on its own (men's & women's outdoor, men's & women's indoor). Even if you counted it as just 2 sports, 17 is still a high number.

I don't want to advocate one sport over another getting cut, but the bottom line is, something has to go. Coaches should start building their cases now.

And I actually agree with mullet. Football WOULD be a huge hit. It's the whole chicken and the egg thing. Do you need the donor base BEFORE you get football, or will announcing that we're moving towards football help CREATE the donor base and attract money from the Triangle area? I used to think it was the former, but now I think its the latter. The vast majority of our alumni and potential donors are by and large reactionary and perhaps a bit lazy. They want to see action FIRST, then they'll open their wallets.

I think that by 2015, Bass will announce that football is on the way. I have no evidence to back that up, just pure speculation. All I know is, Bass has shaken probably 100 times as many hands and done far more than Mehrtens in 1 year than she did in 5, and he knows what kind of potential we have athletically.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  10. witsendhawk

witsendhawk New Member

19 is too many but we win in swimming so track is better to cut. .....and godhelpuncw is still a ezu troll
  11. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

I love this cutting sports support in light of the crap we got over here when we dropped mens soccer. Especially when we still are supporting 19 sports and well I might add. Women's soccer got a new 1000k seat stadium last year.

You've got your own issues in that sport you say you are concentrating on, and I see a pretty big trend this year so far.

-lost to a team of scrubs in the Bahama's who's best player didn't even see the court much for a 4-27 Idaho team and dropped 25 on you

-struggled with a 13-14 St Andrews team holding players out because of accreditation

-almost lost to a 9-18 D2 team

These aren't good signs for a team that finished #218 last year and lost an all CAA PG. I watched most of the game today and their guards got to the basket at will on your guys. If they could hit a layup it would have been a blowout.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  12. Seahawk Nation 08

You dropped men's soccer for reasons that had little to do with finances. That's why your school deserved ridicule (among many other reasons).

As for your "analysis" of exhibition games, GFY.
  13. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

Had a 15 point lead with 4 to go. The guys that played well weren't in the game during that 4 minute debacle. Why not shut up and realize that we have mostly freshmen and Buzz hasn't been playing a normal rotation? You lost by 22 points to State in an exhibition and I heard you were dominated at every position. The difference is that I'm not on your board writing about it.
  14. witsendhawk

witsendhawk New Member

great post & additional proof that godhelpuncw is an ezu fan who trying to do nothing more than talk smack about our coach and AD.
  15. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

You have a thread talking crap about us losing to ranked football teams on your board when you're squeaking by bad D2 teams. What do you expect? As far as State my sources said it wasn't that bad but regardless there is a big difference in NCSU and a 9 win D2 team you are playing at home.

Your team looked like a deer in the headlights at the end and the reason those players were in there the last of the game is because the other team was fouling and your others players like Williams can't hit a free throws. Buzz was trying to win that game, the whole game that was clear.
  16. seahawkhoopsforever

seahawkhoopsforever Active Member

a "1000k" stadium? You packing a Mil in there to watch womans soccer?
  17. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

It says we are averaging 355 a game for womens soccer. 08 is wrong though, back when we cut soccer in 2005 things weren't going well at all here and it was a financial thing. The fact we can support these non revenue probrams now is all because football has been reeling the fans in.

As far as your game yesterday, the other team had a 6-3, 340lb guy on the court. Does it really matter who the heck you had on the court at the end of the game. If they were as good as you guys say you should have had little problem beating a team like that.
  18. solohawks

solohawks Active Member

you watched our exhibition game??
  19. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

Most of it.

It's one thing if you run in to a team that's just hot and making everything they shoot and barely beat them. That team couldn't throw it in the ocean and still almost won.
  20. BigDoubleU

BigDoubleU Member

Of course he did! What else is he gonna watch? ECU?!?! He just wanted to watch a real basketball team play.
  21. solohawks

solohawks Active Member

next question:

why did you watch our exhibition game?
  22. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

-it was free

-im ready to see basketball.. any basketball

-it was free

Besides that it was a competitive game that featured a cameo from the fattest college basketball player I've ever seen. I expected a close game given previous results and wasn't disapointed.
  23. witsendhawk

witsendhawk New Member

EZU played this same St Andrews team two years ago and won 74-69 and counted the 5 pt win as a REGULAR SEASON game along with wins over COker and Virginia-Wise.

The EZU schedule this year has games against power houses Milligan, Coker, Chowan and Va-Wise. Maybe they are getting ready to downgrade to D-II, The reason Stilljones and GodHelpuncw are having a meltdown is because they got left out of the conference realignments because they havent had a winning season in hoops in 15 years and their loser football team had half their fans walk out at half-time when they were getting crushed by southern Miss along with poor academics.
  24. solohawks

solohawks Active Member

fair enough...i did not know you were such a big basketball fan...do you watch a lot of our games?
  25. SEA33HAWK

SEA33HAWK Active Member

"Buzz was trying to win that game, the whole game that was clear."

Guess who never ceases to prove themselves to be such a big idiot.
  26. seahawkhoopsforever

seahawkhoopsforever Active Member

Clearly Buzz was not attempting to get freshman PT down the stretch(insert eye roll) The only difference is we play these teams in the pre season you play them regular season!
  27. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

ECU #96 RPI vs the #41 SOS
    UNCW #218 RPI vs the #174 SOS

www.realtimerpi.com

We had the 3rd best team in the state last year and one of the biggest improvement in the nation under our new coach. It really doesn't matter what happened 2, 5, or 25 years ago at this point because I didn't see Blizzard or Brownell on the court yesterday and Ricky Stokes crew aren't here either. It only takes one coach to change everythinng (benny moss). No matter how you add it up ECU basketball is much farther ahead of UNCW basketball today. After seeing your team that's not changing anytime soon.
  28. solohawks

solohawks Active Member

So you are going to judge our entire season based on our play in an exhibition game when the coach pulled our starters after being up 15 points with 4 minutes to go?

Being the basketball fan that you are, do you think that is a wise way to evaluate us?
  29. SEA33HAWK

SEA33HAWK Active Member

"It only takes one coach to change everythinng (benny moss)."

Quit trying to act like you know what caused our problems. It just makes you look even dumber. Moss was a product of our problems. He was not here to create the fall.

"We had the 3rd best team in the state last year."

Paint as pretty a picture as you wish. The bottom line is, no matter what conference, you have always been a bottom feeder. But keep padding your wins with D-2 programs. That sure is fodder for pounding your chest. (cough)
  30. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

I haven't mentioned wins once Seahawk33, nor will I because it's not a good comparison when our schedules are apples and oranges. I mentioned RPI which doesn't including the D2's. Last year we played just as many D1 games and had the #41 strenght of schedule while you had the #174 SOS, so don't talk to me about padding with hollow wins. The last time you won 20 games you didn't even crack the top 130 and we could have played your schedule last year and won 20+ games easy.

I don't think you have clear cut starters on this team and he played a lot of players. Looks like you have 12 guys that are all about the same caliber with different talents that he is going to try to mix and match to get all he can. The line up he had out there the last 3 minutes was by design IMO and featured guys that could hit Free Throws like Anderson, Mison, Smith, Deloch and he put guys like Ponder and Williams on the bench who are liabilites late in the game when the other team started fouling. He was trying to seal the win with guys he thought would protect the ball and hit the FT's and it certainly wasn't like he was playing guys who hadn't played or rolled out garbage time for scrubs trying to get PT, he was very much trying to finish the game with this best FT shooters.

The other team just totally out hustled your guys the whole day and got to the rim anytime they wanted. If they could have shot a lick they would have blown you out. Smith looked pretty good on offense but like the rest of the team played little defense, Williams is raw but looked like he could be a player one day. That's about the positives I saw.