ECU gets 1 year of probation

Discussion in 'Smack' started by SeahawkDevil, May 20, 2011.

1. SeahawkDevil

SeahawkDevil New Member

Awaiting comment from CAATony...
  2. seahawkhoopsforever

seahawkhoopsforever Active Member

Excuse Tony he is having somoene else formulate his response......
  3. CAATony

CAATony Guest

No lost scholarships, no lost post season play ( you guys remember what that is?) and only one year instead of two because ECU handled it the right way on their own per the NCAA. And most of all, still your daddy.
  4. seahawkhoopsforever

Ahh i get it so if you murder someone and then turn yourself in, it's ok right? Keep telling yourself that! How about not commiting the infractions to begin with than you don't have to cooperate, of course at UNCW we do not know how to act after such infractions, well, because we don't commit them!
  5. Seahawk Nation 08

Seahawk Nation 08 New Member

You're a daddy who cheats on Mom and drinks too much. Go you.
  6. SEA33HAWK

SEA33HAWK Active Member

Can this be moved to the Smack board?
  7. CAATony

CAATony Guest

Yeah hoops, keep acting like it can;t happen to you. We are talking about 18 year old kids. You really think one of your athletes has never had a paper written for them. OK.
  8. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

Let's be clear what it was for. 1 Women's tennis player selling papers to 4 baseball players.

The administration discovered it, suspended the players and turned it in to the NCAA immediately, and self imposed a 2 year probation period which the NCAA actually lightened to only 1 year probation. No loss of scholarships, no, penalties, just a probation period and vacated games they played in at the start of the season.

I'll remind you guys that your AD was one of the top ranking officals on watch when this happened. Then again I think you'd be stupid to blame Holland, Bass, or either of the coaches for some women's tennis player making some side cash writting papers.
  9. Seahawk Nation 08

Seahawk Nation 08 New Member

How about your coach who recruited those idiots?
  10. seahawkhoopsforever

I never said it can't happen, and if they do or have they just are not dumb enough to get caught!
  11. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

I'm sure they put it on the resume 08.

You can't really know about people unless there was a history of this and I haven't heard that any of these guys having a history, so you can't really blame the coach. These were good players and they aren't on the team anymore, so that should tell you what is tolerated. A lot of schools would give 2nd chances, and they ended up at other schools. I'm not condoning cheating but I do think you would have a hard time finding many college students that haven't had "help" on some homework assignment. Including some of the top of the class.
  12. seahawkhoopsforever

So playing the everyone does it card hey? WOW, that makes it all better. Can you ever once just say, yup we screwed up that was stupid?
  13. monarchmaniacs

monarchmaniacs New Member

no dog in this fight....but it kinda sounds like a stretch from the UNCW faithful here...

college students cheat, that includes athletes. These ones just happened to get caught. I dont think that is really an indictment of the university. Just a few bad apples.

I would imagine students like this exist at all of our institutions of choice.
  14. seahawkhoopsforever

Oh come on, really? ARe you going to play that card too? Would it be ok if someone from ODU cheated? Would you not go after VCU if it had happened to then?
  15. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

I think our administration pretty clearly said all these players screwed up big time and that it wouldnt' be tolerated by kicking them off the team. Have I excused what they did or said they should still be here? No. I'm pissed at them for all the negative attention this has got ECU, and that because of them now if any program does anything wrong the next year we are facing a lot bigger problems. Obviously it was stupid.

Harrington was a star of the team and was coming off player of the week honors and we were ranked #23 in the nation when he was suspended. We went from being ranked with these players to not even making the regional last year. I think it's pretty clear this was costly and the administration took it seriously where as a lot of schools might not have been as aggressive. Most of these players ended up at other schools playing baseball this year. We also hired an additional compliance officer to over see the athletic program and report directly to the chancellor as well which couldn't be cheap.
  16. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

Stuff's going to happen, I think the bigger issue is how it's handled. I have no complaints with how the administration has handled this, and I think for the most part we try to run a pretty tight ship around here.

Where you get into trouble is when the administration pushes things like this under the rug and the institutional control isn't there. I don't think that will be an issue while Holland is here. Leadership starts at the top, and you can believe if one of his coaches or players is doing something stupid they won't be here.

We've fired stupid coaches and and dismissed players for a lot less the last few years than your "barrell rolling/ puke a thon" incident. You saw how that was handled among other things and where it got your last AD.
  17. tdog231x

tdog231x New Member

The only reason to hate on ECU for this is if it turns out this is a cover-up for something bigger or if the kids involved were framed. Considering no lawsuits have been filed and we don't have a Sports Illustrated exclusive, it's petty to hate the leaders at ECU for this. They found out this was going on and took swift actions. Some of the hundreds of student athletes at every college or university turn out to be bad eggs.
  18. CAATony

CAATony Guest

Absolutely those players screwed up, no doubt. And ECu handled it exactly the way it's supposed to be handled. in fact, they have ben recognized for the manner in which it was self reported and subsequently handled. Two players lost their careers, one of which was leading the country in hitting and fielding as a freshman and was pro ball bound. May still happen for him, but he has to wait the full two years before he is draft eligible. I believe the other two can come back after the two year suspension ECU gave them.

I know it brings enjoyment to your heart, but the probation is a non-event. In fact our freshman laden team will head of to the regionals this year..no post season ban or any other bans. And see, you can win with young players and shouldn't use it a an excuse year after year after year. Did you see that ECu softball team? 10 freshman, conf champs and made it to the regional championship against Baylor. You need to focus on your own issues and quit startling threads about your daddy.
  19. seahawkhoopsforever

Who started this thread Tony? Hint, it wasn't me....
  20. monarchmaniacs

monarchmaniacs New Member

haha....what funny about the UNCW fans dogging other schools about their dirt is....

UNCW is now being penalized for APR violations. Loss of a scholarship...yikes.

APR numbers are out:

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/05/academic-report-card
  21. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

No way. UNCW recruits rocket scientist to play ball, or at least that's what they have told me for years.

They are screwed and what they don't realize yet is just how screwed they are. That 865 score they got this year is devastating and will haunt them for 3 more years now. They really need to be thankful several of the players they had signed never actually qualified and made it to UNCW or this could have been even more of a disaster.

When you are in trouble with the APR you really have to alter your recruiting strategy and get guys that you know will pass. Looking over Buzz's class there is already at least one player that's an academic question mark, and what could be even more trouble is with 7 or 8 freshman keeping them all happy. Players transferring out can kill you too. If a couple of them leave they have to have to do so in good standing which is above a 2.5 GPA I believe or you are toast as well and next time UNCW will lose 2 scholorships and practice time.

I really can't see how they stay out of APR trouble the next few years. They were below the penalty line last year too and they have to do really well next year because the last 3 years have been bad or they will lose another grant. A good score 4 years ago they lose this year is really what is keeping them afloat.

In other news ECU's 4 year average was 944, well in the clear.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
  22. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

The Hawks don't lose any grants for future recruits because they only had 10 grants this year and were allowed to let it count against this past year. They have several guys coming in that are good in the classroom so that part of the equation was met. He did a good job in that regard and the players can play as well. Buzz has 7 guys coming in and only needs a couple the following year so if that's screwed, then okay, whatever. They are working to get that APR back to where it should be and if it improves, there won't be further penalties. They have been a leader in this area up until the Moss fiasco. Buzz will get it right.
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  23. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

You guys have to have about a 980 next year to avoid more punishment. Even in your top years you were around 990, and you had an 865 last year. All it will take is one slip up in the classroom. You got several boarderline years coming up too and a lot of young players. Freshman are usually the ones that can't cut it early in their career in the classroom. You better hope a couple of them don't get pissed at their position on the depth chart behind those in their own class. That's they real issue with a class that large. If a couple leave in the next couple years which I would think is likely with a class that large, you better hope they leave with a solid GPA. You also better hope Grant and Tomko finish up this year our you might not even have that one scholorship to give next year.
  24. seahawkhoopsforever

Monarch you might want to get accurate info before you post that garbage.

We are still being penalized for the Moss era which set us back 5 years, but hey, at least they won't cheat to get thier apr back up....
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  25. StillJonesn

StillJonesn Guest

It will probably be more like 10 by the time you actually get it turned around, if Buzz does. It's fitting everything your fanbase hated on us for you have become. I really wish the rest of them were around. I'll give you, Bill and 08 cred for actually sticking it out though. Most of the loud mouths disapeared 1 year after Moss.
  26. CAATony

CAATony Guest

And we opnce suffered from the Bill herrion era that screwed us when the first PAR's came out. I am sure you remember that ebcause you, Bill and others gave us a lot of crap about it. Remember that? And ours happened early on when the first numbers came out, prior to being able to adjust to maker sure we met these scores. Even though 198 of 19 sports excelled and some even recv's NCAA recognition for being in the top 10 percent, you ECu haters had a ball trashing us. Well guess what son?
  27. CAATony

CAATony Guest

pretty good stuff here. Here's the start of the thread Seahawks hoops started a few years back. Who is stupid now son? You should really start listening to me. How many times do my predictions come true? RPI this year. APR prediction from 2009. Man, u r really hatin life right now. POWNED

+EZU Men's B-Ball 879 APR!!!!
    WOW come on spinn master what ya got for this one?!?
    It's now confirmed that not only are most of your students stupid, but your athletes too!~

Seahawkhoops
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Seahawkhoops
    Find all posts by Seahawkhoops
    Add Seahawkhoops to Your Contacts

#2 05-13-2009, 01:57 AM
    CAATony
    Walk-on Join Date: Mar 2008

Re: EZU Men's B-Ball 879 APR!!!!
    Do you have any clue what the APR means dumbass? While ECU's rises as we build more continuity, UNCW's will now start falling. Losing players hurts badly and no one has lost more than ECU. UNCW seems to be falling into the same cycle, so you might not want to throw stones just yet. Of course we all know that you are all about anything negative ECU. That's what happens when you get so sick of getting your ass beat on the fied/court etc. Not even your weekend guys cuold help your candy asses tonight.

1961 NAIA National Champions

NCAA Tournament Appearances

1964, 1966, 1968, 1970, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1987,
    1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
    2005, 2007, 2008, 2009
    Since 1999

40 players selected in the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft.
    five NCAA Regional No. 1 seeds National
    16 All-America selections
    10 named Freshman All-Americans
    season ending polls six times
    1 Johnny Bench Award
  28. seahawkhoopsforever

Big difference between missing 925 by 2 points and having an 879, even your 10 cent education from EZU should allow you to figure out that simple math. Your momma must be proud....
  29. CAATony

CAATony Guest

What have you got to say about the 865 you got this year? Man, stop while you are only ten miles behind. read your own words above and get back with me.
  30. seahawkhoopsforever

where are you getting 865? It's not from that article! You are a full of $hit piece of $hit troll! No spinning needed, this is OUR BOARD!