Dutchmen Playing for a National Championship

Discussion in 'Hofstra Pride' started by Proud Pride Fan, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Proud Pride Fan

Proud Pride Fan Moderator

Okay, so its not Hofstra, but they are the Dutchmen and they are from New York...

The Union College Dutchmen will play the winner of Minnesota and North Dakota for the national ice hockey title on Saturday night.
  2. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Unfortunately we are not the Dutch anymore. Remember several years ago they changed the name to the 'pride"
  3. HofstraHockey

HofstraHockey Active Member

Still says it on the Stadium Building and the baseball dugouts. So it counts.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Only because it would cost them too much to remove the name. Anytime anyone from administration or sportscasters only use 'pride". The "Dutch name is dead.
  5. HofstraHockey

It would take a can of paint and about 20 minutes to remove the one from the baseball field.
  6. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

When was the last time you have heard any coach, AD. president Rabinowitz or anyone connected to the school use the "Dutch" nickname. AJ sorry but that name is far removed and will never be used again. The only people using the "Dutch" moniker are old geezers like myself who refuse to let go of one of the best nicknames in college sports.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  7. tedhofstra

tedhofstra Member

The Hofstra men's lacrosse players have referred to their home field as the "Dutch Dome" for the last few years,
  8. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Let me see any release from the school using "dutch". Sorry but it is frowned upon by the administration hence the name change. It was changed to be politically correct.
  9. HofstraHockey

10. HofstraHockey

11. ProudofPride

ProudofPride Member

12. HofstraHockey

13. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Again it is Student athletes using it sparingly. never hearing a coach. AD or anyone in administration using it. Show me rabinowitz or jeff using it.
  14. Jack

Jack New Member

It's Dutch until everybody who wants it to be Dutch is dead and buried.

Go Dutch!
  15. HofstraHockey

Stu, you said "anyone affiliated" with the university, and we just showed you a bunch of examples. Don't go and narrow your question then. When was the last time you heard the president refer to the Pride either?
  16. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

So show me an article that is not more than two years old referring to Hofstra as the Dutch. Sorry but the Dutch name is dead. If the athletes want to be called the Dutch how come they have not approached the administration to change the name back. Elon are no longer the Fighting Christians but the Phoenix. Lehigh is no longer the Engineers but the mountain hawks. Same as Hofstra we are no longer the dutch but the Pride thanks to the PC police. the examples were a tweet by one plyaer and two sign still left over from the previous adminisration and a club sport. There are 17 varsity teams and over 200 athletes you showed me one athletes tweet two signs and a club sport. That is a broad representation.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  17. HofstraHockey

Ok Stu, you're right. What's the point?
  18. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

There isnt one. Look Guys like myself who have been following Hofstra 1990 and before felt slighted by the name change and of course football being dropped. You will not see football back or Hofstra being referred to as the Dutch as long as rabinowitz is president. Even after he is gone football is a long shot at best and the Dutch moniker will die off with the rest of us.
  19. Proud Pride Fan

As noted in this thread, to a lot of people, we're still the Dutch at heart.

Anyway, Union was never the Flying Dutchmen, just the Dutchmen.

But the Dutchmen did win the title tonight, 7-4, over Minnesota -- which came within a game of winning a hockey title and an NIT championship in consecutive weeks.
  20. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Maybe to turn our luck around we should switch back to just the Dutch and the womens teams the "lady dutch".
  21. Proud Pride Fan

Many of us wold be all for it. I would, even though I'd have to change my screen name here. But the reason they won't is the reason they changed it in the first place: money; tie to the Pride club, donations, etc.
  22. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

It was originally told to us to be politically correct. The "Flying Dutchman" I was told was one of the favorite plays of Adolph Hitler. It was also a ghost ship. The Pride Club to me was having "pride" in your school not a pack of Lions. The Hofstras who founded and had the school named after them were of Dutch heritage. afterall it was the Dutch who settled NY. How many lions are raised on Long Island?
  23. HofstraHockey

I don't know. How many seawolves are raised on Long Island?
  24. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

About the same as Lions. The only time I see Lions on Long Island is when the circus is in town.